- All students are required to have a lesson journal to record lessons and assigned exercises. While this can be done with any journal the Moleskin Large Art Music Notebook (linked above) is highly recommended.
- Total Energy Tuner is a highly functional tuner, metronome, recorder, and sound analysis tool that I recommend every one of my students own. It is well worth the modest cost and serves as an all in one practice tool. Since I do require every student to own a metronome and tuner this app allows you to have high quality versions of both in one package.
- Decibel X is a great software for empirically measuring your total volume output. There is a free version of this app as it can be expensive. This is a great tool for determining your total volume output and if you are able to play softer or louder over time.
- The Astra Air Trainer is a breathing tool that I use with many of my students to teach proper air support and utilization.
- A breathing bag is a breath exerciser that I use with many of my students to work on air capacity while preventing hyperventilation. It also serves as a way to approximate the total volume of air that a student is capable of inhaling.
6) ForScore – Apple
- ForScore is an Apple-only app that allows you to organize your sheet music. I highly recommend this app for every musician who uses an iPad to store their sheet music.
- If you are interested in improvisation iReal Pro is an indispensable way to play with a rhythm section to practice standards, improvisation, or to use as a backing track for progression exercises.